Squeezing in a trip to the gym sounds great, but it’s not always realistic. By taking 10 to 20 minutes and exercising on a chair at work or at home, you can get a great workout. Changing your pace, stretching your muscles, and some deep breathing can help clear your mind and keep you moving. Here are some stretching exercises you can do while sitting down:
- Look Up & Lift Up: Sit with your feet flat on the floor. Raise your arms to your sides and continue lifting them up toward the ceiling. As you lift your arms, look up and breathe in deep. As your lower your arms, look down and slowly breathe out. Repeat 10 times.
- Sky Boxing: Raise your arms above your head and “punch” toward the ceiling, alternating fists. Change to “punching” straight out in front. Repeat each punch 10 times.
10 to 20 minutes of chair exercising can be a great workout.
- Touch Down: Raise your arms above your head and sit forward. Stretch forward and down with your hands until they are flat on the floor between your feet. Keep your chin up and look straight ahead.
- Elbow Grab: Touch the back of your neck with your right hand and then grab your right elbow with your left hand and pull it back behind your head. Repeat on the left side.
- Grab Your Ear: Grip the edge of the chair with your right hand. Place your left hand above your right ear. Raise your right shoulder and hold for 5 seconds, then relax it. Pull your head and trunk to the left so that you get a stretch down the right side of your neck and shoulder. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Fly Like an Eagle: Using both arms, make giant circles forward and backwards—10 to 15 times in each direction.
- Behind the Back: Reach behind the chair and clasp your hands together. Stretch your arms backwards as far as you can.
- Hand Squeezes: For help relieving tension, clench and release your hands for 5 seconds and alternate.
- Sitting Rotations: Sit face forward with both feet flat on the floor. With your fist on your chest and your elbows out, twist to the left, and then to the right.
- Water Bottle Curls: With a full water bottle in hand, sit it up straight, and curl the water bottle like you would with a hand weight. Repeat on the other side.
- Leg Extensions: Sit straight up in a chair, and tuck your abs in. Slowly extend one leg upwards until it is level at your hips. Hold for 3-5 seconds, and lower. Repeat for a series of 5 on each leg.
- Shoulder Blade Squeeze: Sit with your back straight, and breathe in deeply as you squeeze your shoulder blades together. Hold for a count of 5, and exhale as you release. Repeat 5 times.
- Calf Stretch: Grab the back of your chair for balance and stand up straight. Step back with your right leg and press your right heel into the floor. Bend your left leg slightly and feel the stretch in your right calf. Bend your back knee slightly and feel the stretch in your right heel. Hold for around 20 seconds. Relax and repeat with the other leg.
Note: This website may contain general medical and health information. Such information is provided for informational purposes, the site sponsor does not claim to be an expert in these categories. Patients should always consult with a doctor or other healthcare professionals for medical advice.